Verdical · (noun): An upward trend in positive environmental impact
- Verdical Group is a leading sustainability consulting firm focused on decarbonizing the built environment and inspiring a net zero future.
- We’ve developed a nationally known brand and industry leading reputation since the company was founded in 2012.
- Our core values include environmentalism, fun, inspiration, adventure, and continuous learning.
- Incorporated as a Benefit Corporation and a Certified B Corporation, we meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.
- A 1% for the Planet Member Company: we donate 1% of our annual revenue, not just profit, to environmental nonprofit organizations.
- We are also a Certified Small Business, Green Business, and Social Enterprise
- We're committed to antiracism; our diverse team is one of our greatest assets. Interested in joining our team? Learn more here.
Human activity is creating climate change. Verdical Group is working to reduce the building industry’s contribution to the problem. Our work makes a positive impact on the climate crisis through decarbonization of the built environment. We’re working with our clients to build a net zero future, and we’re inspiring as many others as possible to do the same. Click here to see the latest scientific facts from NASA.
As a B Corp and Benefit Corporation, a key commitment of ours here at Verdical Group is to measure our positive social and environmental impact. This report will share the incredible positive impact our team made in 2021. We share highlights on how we’re continuously improving when it comes to our workers, environment, community, governance, and customer services.
A Net Positive Company
We are excited to share that Verdical Group has officially offset our entire historical carbon footprint dating back to the company’s founding in 2012, plus ten percent, going above and beyond net zero to become a carbon negative / climate positive company.
Our company goes beyond achieving net zero carbon emissions to actually create an environmental benefit (net positive) by removing additional carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. We plan to continue tracking our annual carbon footprint, reducing our impact wherever we can, and offsetting our remaining annual emissions. We currently track our annual Scope 1, Scope 2, and Scope 3 emissions, which encompass impact areas such as our office space, employee transportation / commuting, waste, and procurement. Read more about our journey here.
An Anti-Fossil Fuel Company
Verdical Group does not accept money from companies whose majority of revenue comes from the fossil fuel industry.
Verdical Group officially divested from fossil fuels, tobacco, prisons, and firearms in early 2022. We believe that if you’re truly dedicated to helping solve the climate crisis, then you can’t invest in big oil companies that are inherently self-interested in maintaining the status quo, carbon-intensive economy. Divestment is one of the most impactful things you can do to help change the world for the better and support our inevitable low-carbon economy of the future. There are now many options for ESG and sustainability-focused mutual funds that screen out these companies that hurt people and the environment. Learn more about the funds that we’re now invested in and read about our journey to divestment here.
Our human capital is the most valuable asset we have. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities and talent that our diverse employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation, goodwill and long-term success. We aim to create a welcoming, supportive, and collaborative environment where full participation is valued and voices from diverse backgrounds and perspectives are heard.
Verdical Group’s racial and ethnic diversity initiatives are applicable—but not limited—to our practices and policies on recruitment and selection, compensation and benefits, professional development and training, mentorship and sponsorship, work and project assignments, promotions, transfers, social and recreational programs, layoffs and the ongoing development of a work environment built on a premise of racial equity that encourages and enforces:
- Anti-racism; we are committed to not just prohibiting racism within our organization but also actively fighting discrimination against Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC).
- Respectful communication and cooperation between all employees.
- Teamwork and employee participation, permitting the representation of all groups and employee perspectives.
- Work/life balance through flexible work schedules to accommodate employees’ varying needs.
- Employer and employee contributions to the communities we serve to promote a greater understanding and respect for traditionally underserved and historically marginalized populations.
Verdical Group provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, familial status, marital status, source of income, mental or physical disability, genetic information, Vietnam Era status, or other protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
We are committed to the hiring, retention and promotion of racially and ethnically diverse employees. Our retention and promotion strategies are focused on providing a culture and work environment where racially and ethnically diverse employees have the opportunity to be successful in their careers and to be represented at all levels of the organization including senior leadership.
Let’s All Be Part of the Change — Read our article on advancing antiracism in our work, published on B the Change, here.
At Verdical Group, we value the wellbeing of our employees above all else. We use our B Corporation and Benefit Corporation resources as a guideline for our Employee Handbook and host regular reviews and feedback surveys to ensure we’re being the best company we can be. Visit our Apply page to learn more about some of our favorite employee benefits.
We also make wellness a priority across our building projects, pushing for strategies related to health, nutrition, exercise, daylighting, and mental health. We have multiple WELL and Fitwel credential holders on staff and are proud to offer these services to our clients. We’re also committed to applying health and wellness principles across our projects, regardless of rating system.
We are members of the USGBC Healthy Economy Commitment, community members urging elected leaders to take action on key green building policy priorities, and the USGBC-LA Healthy Building Alliance, a commitment to provide sustainable, healthy, resilient spaces to live, work, and play.